This article teaches you how to install and play Quake III Arena on Ubuntu.
1. First, you need to purchase the game disk and have the CD key.
2. Then, download the native GNU/Linux client qlinuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run from ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/linux/
3. move the linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run file to your home folder
4. Insert the installation CD or DVD
5. Fire up the terminal and type:
cp -r /cdrom/Quake3/baseq3 home/quake3/
6. run the following command in the terminal:
chmod +x linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run
7. The installer will auto run through the installation process.
8. To start the game, run the following command in the terminal:
If you have no sound with the following error message in console:
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
In your terminal, run the following commands one by one:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
add lines above : exit 0
echo 'quake3.x86 0 0 direct' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo 'quake3-smp.x86 0 0 direct' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss''
Hope this helps! :)